Beacon provides environmental services in support of the development and expansion of facilities for all types of energy including hydroelectric, natural gas, nuclear, solar and wind. Beacon’s multi-disciplinary areas of expertise include terrestrial and aquatic ecology, geomorphology, landscape architecture, hydrogeology, agrology and limnology.
Beacon is well-versed in the applicable environmental legislation, policies and procedures in Ontario and regularly works with clients such as Ontario Power Generation and Trans Canada Energy to provide services in our areas of expertise.
Key strengths related to energy projects
- A solid understanding of the relevant environmental legislation and policies
- Ability to provide the technical support to address site-specific challenges related to the natural environment (including Species at Risk and Significant Wildlife Habitat screening)
- Extensive expertise with scoped and comprehensive impact assessment
- Provision of concepts and detailed designs for habitat protection
- Determination of appropriate habitat off-setting and compensation
- Special expertise in the creation and restoration of wetlands, watercourses (using natural channel design principles), meadows and woodlands
- Experience engaging and undertaking environmental work with Indigenous communities
- Facilitating consultations with agencies, stakeholders and the public
- Developing and undertaking biological monitoring programs
- Guiding energy sector clients through the environmental approvals process