Beacon Environmental Limited is currently seeking an Intermediate Aquatic Ecologist to work full-time out of our Markham office. The successful candidate will typically have a minimum of four years of professional consulting experience.
Intermediates take a technical role in their area of expertise while working on multidisciplinary teams. They manage projects and act as key support staff for Seniors in project management and the preparation of reports. They work with technical staff – conducting field work and summarizing findings for review and approval – and provide mentoring to assist in their professional development.
The duties of Intermediate staff include: providing technical expertise on multidisciplinary teams, coordinating field programs, conducting field work, interpreting and applying policy and legislation, report and proposal preparation, permit applications, project management, assisting with strategic business development and marketing, training and mentoring.
Beacon offers a competitive compensation package including ownership opportunities, a performance bonus system, health benefits, and RRSP matching. Our inclusive corporate culture is carefully designed to make us an exceptionally competitive firm, and a fulfilling place to pursue a career in the dynamic industry of environmental consulting.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum four years consulting experience related to aquatic ecology.
- Strong knowledge of, and comfortable with, provincial and federal environmental regulatory procedures, possess knowledge to assist in the successful negotiation of Conservation Authorities Act permits, federal Fisheries Act Authorizations and Endangered Species Act permits related to aquatic species.
- Experience with environmental management and compliance as it relates to the planning, design and construction of infrastructure including environmental specifications.
- Excellent self-management, time management and organizational skills with the ability to set priorities and multi-task.
- Demonstrated sense of urgency with a strong commitment to ensuring client satisfaction, achieving goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of and experience with project management fundamentals including cost control, scope management, scheduling.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; team oriented, ability to work independently.
REPORTING AND ANALYSIS
- Demonstrated experience in study design, data analysis and reporting.
- General experience with natural heritage impact assessment and related to aquatic resources specifically.
- Experience with provincial and federal environmental regulatory procedures (environmental impact assessments/studies, due diligence studies, habitat restoration) and natural heritage policies in Ontario.
- Ability to incorporate technical information into accurate and concise reports.
- Demonstrated experience in public and stakeholder consultation.
- Experience with habitat management and/or habitat monitoring and wildlife surveys.
- Experience tracking budgets and managing scope changes.
- Experience scoping and writing proposals.
- Experience liaising with government agencies and regulatory bodies.
- Identifying issues and problem-solving as part of a team.
- Ability to provide occasional in-person support to other offices.
- Experience conducting fish population evaluations, aquatic habitat assessments, benthic macro-invertebrate sampling, and water quality monitoring.
- Experience with construction monitoring of in-stream works (pre, during and post).
- Solid familiarity with a variety of assessment and monitoring techniques for both small and large aquatic systems.
Additional qualifications that would be an asset, but are not required, include:
- Headwater Drainage Feature Assessment training
- Ontario Benthos Biomonitoring Network (OBBN) training
- Class I Electrofishing/Class II Backpack Electrofishing
- MTO/DFO/MNR Fisheries Specialist Certification Course
- Ontario Stream Assessment Protocol Training (OSAP)
- Certified Inspector of Sediment and Erosion Control (CISEC)
- MTO RAQS Certification in Fisheries Assessment and Fisheries Compliance during Construction
|Position Type:||Permanent, full-time|
|Salary:||To be negotiated based on skills and experience|
|Contact:||Via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.|
|Deadline:||Beacon will contact those candidates that have been selected for an interview.|